This stop, on our way back from Croatia back home, was full of surprises, but it was only Kurt Hielscher's photo from the Kreuzgang of the former monastery that brought us here. Then we found out that there also was an art exhibition, next to the church and the Kreuzgang, our stay instantly extended from maybe half an hour to almost two hours. It was just awesome!
Kreuzgang, 1928. Photo: Kurt Hielscher.
Kreuzgang, 5th of August 2023. Photo: Casper Molenaar.
Founded in 1070 AD by the Bendictines, the monastery was taken over by the Order of the Knights of St. George in 1469, after its collapse in 1598 given to the Jesuits and under Joseph II abolished in 1773. Now, the the church belongs to the parish, all other buildings in the former monastery are under state administration, which make the terrific combination with so much art possible. The monastery was one of the most important spiritual centers of Carinthia for centuries and the buildings itself are worth the visit.
When we left the monastery to check the shores of the neighboring Millstätter See, we realized we had been here before. A few years ago we also made a stop here. That time, however, we did not go to the former monastery. This time, it was Kurt Hielscher's photo that brought us here and we enjoyed it a lot.